Tips of Effective Communication
- Instant Messenger
- Chatting tool
- Voice Mail
- Video Conference
- Hand written mail
- Physical Meetings
- Collaboration website
- Microsoft Outlook
- Virtual Team
- Co-located Team
While make communication plan consider following
- Urgency of messages
- Privacy of messages
- Details required
- Distance to
- Need of feedback
- Size of audience
- Need for human connection cost
- Need for collaboration
- If you want to leave out from the call then it is worth to say like this and then go out “I am really enjoying the chat, however I have to go”
Conference Call tip
- If you could not listen the conversation in conference call consider saying “I am sorry, I was distracted, could you please repeat the question”
- Introduce yourself. eg. “Hey this is Hari, who just joined the call. Good morning everybody”
- When people are joining conference call and you are host then ask people “about weather, traffic, location from where they are calling, who else is on the call, ask about their family, any off the track things”
- It looks rude. e.g. “who is on the call”
- Record the meeting
- Recap before finish
- Documented agenda/MoM/participants
- If you are behind or ahead on slide then share slide number, which you are referring
- To ask for a feedback say “Does anybody has anything to add.” Then wait for some time. You can do it by saying it like “Raj do you have any thing to add” (ask individually) Silence becomes unbearable and people will say something.
- If somebody joined in mid and you want to ask him some question, send him brief of conversation my instant message and ask for feedback.
- Ask if things are not clear or unambiguous
- Avoid using e-mail for things you could do in the collaborative
- Remove the ability to delete content from collaboration site. If permission is disable then don’t show it.
- Use collaboration side to publish status report and send message to the relevant stakeholders
- Never surprise to people by giving them information once in a blue moon. Keep updating them from time to time.
- Picture speaks thousands words. Words have their own limitation and picture has lot many interpretations. So strike a balance to ensure the message is understood properly and then retained.
- Don’t send presentation around without you going there. Go with presentation
Managing the client
- Stay in constant touch
- Be accessible
- Reassure Communicate status immediately
- Cultivate the relation
- Be confident
- No surprise ever.
- They need to know that you genuinely care about them Listen carefully when people are saying
- Make people comfortable, be gracious
- Learn about them. Possibly go and meet them face to face.
- Be sensitive to the problem which are not visible to you
- Need to work hard to show the commitment.
How to bring virtual team member on board
- Develop a team charter in collaboration with team
- Talk to them one to one.
- Let them read team charter.
- Introduce that person to others team members.
- Let him feel comfortable to talk and discuss.
How to tackle with people who do not respond
- First, send them email.
- If does not respond then call them on all possible phones which I have with me.
- If there is no reply then send them offline message.
- Finally if no reply then send them registered letter
Rules of email
- If possible avoid attaching files and put the information in main body. It is not true for large content.
- For email also follow the rule of real mail (physical letters)
- Understand the rule of To, CC & BCC
- Write structured email, make point using bullets
- Use fonts type, font size, underline, bold, color to emphasize on important content
- Always keep disclaimer at the bottom
- Always keep signature at the last of your message
- Always write greetings and salutation
- Do not use email as messenger
- Never pressure send button if you have not reviewed content, meaning, spelling and message.
- Mostly you will find that bad news is better than no news in communications.
- Never write and send any email in bad mood. They are documentary evidences!
- Balance the use of messenger and email. Do not write email if messenger can server the purpose